With additional funding through the 2020 CARES Act, Harrisonburg Redevelopment & Housing Authority (HRHA) launched a campaign to help secure housing for 100 new Harrisonburg and Rockingham families from June 15 through September 30, 2020. As a result of COVID-19, individuals and families have seen increased challenges in accessing affordable housing.
In our community, we simply do not have enough landlords who accept housing vouchers. This means individuals and families who have been approved for housing assistance, looking for a place to rent, are unable to find one. We aimed to raise community awareness around housing challenges, connect with new landlords, and secure housing for individuals and families who need it most.
Campaign Final Results
Secured Housing for 30 Families
Partnered with 11 New Landlords
Other significant accomplishments during the 100 Families campaign include:
- Launching new online portals for applicants, residents, HCV participants, and landlords
- Hosting 5 Landlord/HCV Information Sessions over Zoom
- Launching two radio ad campaigns to reach landlords over WMRA and WSVA
- Promoting why the HCV program is so important by highlighting the voices of participants who benefit from the program itself. We shared these perspectives through social media, our newsletter, website, local news, and more.
We are still housing families in need and bringing on new landlords. Want to help? Lean more about the program and process below.
Are you a landlord who wants to help address the affordable housing crisis while receiving consistent monthly income?
“It’s not a sacrifice on our part – getting added to the list actually makes the apartment easier to advertise, and we receive most of the rent directly from HRHA each month. So in many ways it feels like a more secure financial decision and a way of making a difference in the affordable housing crisis in our community at the same time.”
– Emily Blake, HCV Landlord
General Landlord Lease Up Process
- Initial Check: Attend a landlord orientation lunch (below), read about the HCV program, and check to ensure a voucher holder can afford your rent.
- List your unit with us and pre-register in our system.
- Accept voucher request from tenant and submit required documentation.
- HRHA contacts you within 2 to 3 days and will walk you through the leasing process.
100 Families In the News
DNR – June 24, 2020
The Citizen – June 22, 2020
WHSV – June 9, 2020