IF YOUR HOME REQUIRES REPAIRS
• If your home requires repairs call 540-434-7386. Be prepared to describe the problem in as much detail as possible, including the specific location of the problem
• Anytime a work order request is placed, it automatically authorizes entry into your apartment for making the requested repair.
• It is not necessary for you to be present for maintenance staff to make repairs. Should you wish to be present when the work is done, you must request this at the time you place your initial work order. HRHA maintenance staff will do their best to comply with your request.
• Maintenance staff strives to respond to work orders as soon as possible. We do, however, need to prioritize work orders and will address what we think is higher priority work orders first even if you requested yours earlier.
• Tenants will be charged for items that are caused by tenant damage. If you want to know a specific charge amount, contact the maintenance director at 540-434-7386 or see the pricing list HERE
Emergency work orders
In case of an emergency involving a fire, or accident / injury to persons,
• If you have a work order emergency after hours call 540-432-3921. An answering service will receive your call and contact the On-call Maintenance Staff. The Maintenance Staff will respond as soon as possible.
• A list of potential emergencies includes but is not limited to:
o Broken doors, door lock(s) and ground floor windows (Tenant charges will apply)
o No heat – please remember no heat is only emergency in cold weather (under 45 degrees)
o Gas leak or gas smell in units that have gas appliances
o Water Leak (does not include minor faucet leaks or drain leaks)
o Overflowing commodes (tenant charge may apply)
o Clogged commodes if there is only one in the house (tenant charge will apply)
o No electricity or if electrical outlets/switches are smoking or sparking
o Lock outs when small children are involved (Tenant charges will apply)
• Do not call for emergency services after normal working hours unless a problem has developed which threatens the health or safety of your family or may cause damage to the apartment or other HRHA property.
• Residents will be charged for any unnecessary calls after hours, on weekend and/or holidays.
On the interior of house tenants are obligated to
• Call if smoke detectors or CO detectors are malfunctioning
• Keep the dwelling unit in a clean, sanitary, and safe condition.
• Dispose of all rubbish, garbage, and other organic or flammable waste in a clean and sanitary manner.
• Keep all plumbing fixtures clean and sanitary.
• Keep all kitchen appliances clean and sanitary.
• Keep all bathroom fixtures clean and sanitary.
• Use all plumbing and electrical fixtures properly.
• Not permit any person to willfully destroy, deface, damage, impair, or remove any part of the rental property, equipment or appurtenances.
• Inform the landlord promptly of any defects or problems.
On the exterior of house tenants are obligated to:
• Keep their yard free of all litter
• Not use porches as storage areas.
• Only use furniture designed for outside use on porches or balconies
• Pick up toys from your yard on a daily basis
• Keep trash cans at rear of house
Note: All automobiles parked on HRHA parking lots must have current registration and inspection stickers. Cars without current registration and inspection information will be subject to towing.
Trash Collection for HRHA Properties
If you live at a residence that has curb side trash collection
Monday trash collection:
All properties north of East Market Street
All properties on Reservoir Street and Norwood Street
(Remember if there is a Monday holiday, trash pick up will be on Tuesday)
Friday trash collection:
All properties that are on Myers Avenue and Bruce St
Place your trash cans next to the curb on the evening before or morning of your regular trash day.
Bring your trash cans back to the rear of the house within 24 hours.
Keep your trash cans at the rear of the house
All trash must be in trash cans between trash collection days
Bulk trash pickup
If your regular trash day is on Monday, your bulk trash day is the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month
If your regular trash day is Friday, your bulk trash day is the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month
Remember, HRHA staff will pick up bulk trash left out on the wrong day and will add a $30 landfill fee to your account
If you live at a residence that has a dumpster
Place all trash in bags
Place bags in the dumpster or in the trash chute
Place large items that do not fit in the dumpster beside the dumpster on Thursdays only
HRHA uses a pest control service to prevent pests from coming into your house. The pest control technicians will enter your house each quarter to place bait at places that the pests can get but that you will rarely notice.
Unfortunately there will be times when you will have pests inside your house. Please call the office 540-434-7386 to report pests. The pest control technicians will respond to your house to mitigate the pest problem.
If you want more information about how to control pests, visit the following web site: https://www.epa.gov/safepestcontrol/got-pests-control-them-safely
When you are ready to move out of your house:
If you are concerned about getting your security deposit back, there are certain things you can do:
• Empty the house of ALL items
o Kitchen: refrigerator, oven, cabinets and range hood
o Bathroom: Toilet, sink, bathtub
o Windows: Glass, frame, screens and windowsills
o Sweep and mop all floors
• We understand that some things will be stained. Maintenance staff can tell the difference between what is clean and what is worn.
• Do not attempt to repair holes in your walls unless you are a drywall professional
After you turn in your keys, maintenance staff will go through your house to make a detailed report on the condition of your house. If you want to be present for that inspection, be sure to request that when you turn in your keys. HRHA will do our best to accommodate your request.