Fair Housing, VAWA, and Reasonable Accommodations


Fair Housing

If you feel you are the victim of discrimination in housing based on your race, color, religion, sex, national origin, familial status (families with children under 18) or disability, you can file a complaint with HUD.

Violence Against Women Act

Victims of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking have certain rights under this policy and may be eligible for certain exceptions to HRHA policies. More details and the VAWA form are available here.

Reasonable Accommodations

Reasonable accommodation forms are available on the forms page.

What is a reasonable accommodation?
A change in program rules, policies, practices, or services to give a person with disabilities the ability to participate in and enjoy HRHA programs, services, and housing. Its purpose is to remove or relieve a barrier posed by a disability-related limitation.

What determines if I am eligible for a reasonable accommodation?
The person requesting the accommodation must be disabled, and the requested accommodation must be related to the disability. If an accommodation will allow a disabled person to participate and use or enjoy HRHA’s housing and programs equally, it is generally considered acceptable if it is reasonable. To be reasonable, a request cannot create an undue financial hardship or administrative burden. It also must be fundamentally related to our business, which is housing and housing assistance programs.

Disabled: having a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities; having a record of such impairment, or being regarded as having such impairment

Physical or mental impairment: includes, but is not limited to, diseases and conditions such as orthopedic, visual, speech, and hearing impairments, cerebral palsy, autism, epilepsy, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and AIDS, or any physiological disorder, disease or condition, cosmetic disfigurement, or anatomical loss affecting one or more of the following body systems: neurological; musculoskeletal; special sense organs; respiratory, including speech organs; cardiovascular; reproductive; digestive; genito-urinary; hemic and lymphatic; skin; and endocrine. Also any mental or psychological disorder, such as mental retardation, organic brain syndrome, emotional or mental illness, and specific learning disabilities. Current, illegal use of or addiction to a controlled substance is not considered a disability.

Major life activities include, but are not limited to, caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, seeing, hearing, eating, sleeping, walking, standing, lifting, bending, speaking, breathing, learning, reading, concentrating, thinking, communicating, and working.

How can I prove my disability, and how can I prove that I need the accommodation?
If the disability is apparent or already documented, the criterion is met. However, it is possible that the disability for which the accommodation is being requested is a disability other than an apparent disability, or is itself not readily apparent (e.g. a heart condition). If the disability is not apparent or documented, HRHA will obtain verification that the person is a person with a disability.
If the disability is apparent or verified, but it is not apparent that the request is related to the disability, HRHA will obtain documentation that the requested accommodation is needed due to the disability. HRHA will not inquire as to the nature of the disability.

What should I do if I need an extra bedroom as an accommodation?
You will need to make this request to HRHA. The form you complete will depend on the reason for your need.

  • If you need a live-in aide, the process is two-fold – first, we will determine if you are approved for a live-in aide; second, approve any person you choose as an aide will need to be approved as an addition to the household
  • If the extra bedroom is for equipment, after we receive and verify your request, please be advised that your need for this space and its ongoing usage will be reviewed at HRHA inspections
  • If you need an exception to the subsidy standards so that an individual can have their own room, the person who is disabled must be the one who benefits from the exception.